Ron Abuelo honours José Varela Blanco, a pioneer who came to Panama from Spain and created the country's first sugar cane mill, providing inspiration and the means for his family to create the prestigious Ron Abuelo rum. Over a century old, the rum brand has a rich, distinctive history that is family owned to this day.
Ron Abuelo has a range of rums, but the summer star is its 12 anos that works perfectly in cocktails. Ron Abuelo’ s Global Brand Ambassador, Cristobal Srokowski has curated the most refreshing summer cocktail 'The Glorious'. The key ingredients include - lime juice, sugar syrup, angostura bitters, mint leaves and champagne or sparkling wine.
With the UK rum market now the third largest in the world and premium rum trending at home and in bars, this cocktail is not one to miss this summer.
Please see below for the recipe
· 45 ml – Ron Abuelo 12 Años
· 20 ml – Fresh lime juice
· 20 ml – Sugar syrup (2:1)
· 4 Dashes – Angostura bitters
· 8-10 Fresh mint leaves Top off with Champagne or dry sparkling wine
· Shake and double strain into a coupette or large flute
· Top off with Champagne or dry sparkling wine, stir gently and garnish.
· Orange peel and/or fresh mint spring